In a video message, the Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel has announced 7 new circles of Archaeological Survey of India.
- Minister Prahlad Singh Patel informed that new circles have been created in Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, West Bengal and Gujarat.
- The new circles are Trichy, Raiganj, Rajkot, Jabalpur, Jhansi and Meerut.
- Hampi city in Karnataka has been converted from Hampi Sub-Circle to a new full-fledged circle due to its international importance from the point of view of archaeological heritage.
- In West Bengal, Raiganj has been made as a new circle along with Kolkata.
- In Gujarat, Rajkot has been announced as a new circle along with Vadodara.
- In Madhya Pradesh, Jabalpur has been announced as a new circle along with Bhopal.
- In Uttar Pradesh, Jhansi in Bundelkhand and Meerut in western UP have been announced as two new circles along with Lucknow and Agra.
- Earlier there were 29 ASI circles across India.
Source: All India Radio