Here we cover the most important fortnightly current affairs of April 2021. We cover all the important topics (International, National, State, Agreements, Appointments, Awards, Banking, Books and Authors, Business, Defence, Economy, Important Days and Theme, Obituaries, Ranks and Reports, Schemes, Summits and Conferences, Sports, Miscellaneous) here.
You can get a PDF of our Middle String Fortnightly Current Affair of April (1-15) => Click here for free current affairs PDF
After reading this article or our PDF you can also check your learning by giving a free current affairs mock test. For the free mock test, you can click on the menu select the student corner and click on the free current affair mock test. Free mock tests link is also available below.
- International - Current Affairs News
- 1. World’s 1st Covid vaccine Carnivac-Cov for animals registered by Russia
- 2. Carl Bildt appointed as WHO special envoy for COVID-19 Tools Accelerator
- 3. Vietnam New PM & President
- 4. Kosovo’s parliament elects Vjosa Osmani as president
- 5. Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou as New Prime Minister Niger
- 6. Singapore becomes first country among 15 RCEP countries to ratify mega free trade agreement ‘RCEP’
- 7. Sanskrit learning app ‘Little Guru’ launched in Bangladesh
- 8. Prime Minister of Haiti Joseph Jouthe Resigns
- National - Current Affairs News
- 3. Education Minister launched “MyNEP2020” platform of NCTE Web Portal
- 4. GoI declares 14th April as a public holiday
- 5. India completed the arch of world’s highest railway Chenab bridge in J&K
- 6. Tribal Health Collaborative ‘Anamaya’ Launched by Dr. Harsh Vardhan and Arjun Munda
- 7. SC launches AI-driven research portal ‘SUPACE’
- 8. India gifts Rs 100 crore patrol vessel “PS Zoroaster” to Seychelles
- 9. Union Education Minister launches implementation plan ‘SARTHAQ’
- 10. Mental-Health Digital Platform MANAS Launched by Prof. K Vijay Raghavan
- 11. Piyush Goyal Launches “e-SANTA”, For Aqua Farmers
- State - Current Affairs News
- 1. Utkal Divas (Odisha Day) celebrated on 1 April
- 2.Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam become first to issue Green Bonds
- 3. Maharashtra: After a fish species discovered (Amboli named as a biodiversity heritage site)
- 4. Rajasthan becomes the 1st state to provide free health insurance to all the citizens of Rajasthan
- 5. India’s biggest floating solar power plant to be set up at Ramagundam in Telangana
- 6. Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘mask abhiyan’ to prevent the spread of Covid-19
- 7. Punjab appointed Sonu Sood as state’s Covid vaccination ambassador
- 8. Maharashtra becomes first India’s state to get FSRU based LNG
- 9. Himachal Day is observed on 15th April
- Agreements - Current Affairs News
- 1. AYUSH Ministry in collab with Vinoba Seva Pratishthan organizes ‘Ayurveda Parav’
- 2. ICICI Bank and PhonePe Tie Up For Issuance of FASTags
- 3. Bharti Airtel sells 800 MHz spectrum in three circles to Reliance Jio
- 4. Bharti AXA Life and Fincare SFB join hands for bancassurance partnership
- 5. India sign MoU with France for cooperation on Gaganyaan Mission
- Appointments - Current Affairs News
- 1. Subhash Kumar takes additional charge as CMD of ONGC
- 2. Mukhmeet S. Bhatia takes over as Director-General of ESIC
- 3. Mallika Srinivasan appointed as the chairperson of PESB
- 4. Urjit Patel appointed as additional director of Britannia
- 4. Adil Zainulbhai appointed chairman of Capacity Building Commission
- 5. Virat Kohli become the brand ambassad of Digit Insurance
- 6. Shabir Khandwawala appointed new BCCI ACU chief
- 7. Justice N V Ramana appointed as the new CJI
- 8. Cabinet Appointed Tarun Bajaj as new Revenue Secretary
- 9. Chintan Vaishnav appointed as Mission Director of Atal Innovation Mission
- 11. Poonam Gupta to head NCAER as its first woman DG
- 12. Sushil Chandra the next Chief Election Commissioner
- 13. Siddharth Longjam appointed new NADA DG
- Awards - Current Affairs News
- Banking- Current Affairs News
- 1. SBI inks USD 1 billion loan agreement with JBIC
- 2. Axis Bank to sell UK arm to tech platform OpenPayd Holdings Ltd
- 3. RBI increases WMA limits for the State Governments/UTs
- 4. RBI increase maximum balance limit per account in Payments Banks
- 5. RBI enhances Loan limit under Priority Sector Lending against eNWR/NWR
- 6. SBI MF becomes first mutual fund company to cross Rs 5 lakh crore AAUM
- 7. Airtel Payments Bank has announced ‘Rewards123’ savings account
- 8. Axis Bank becomes co-promoter of Max Life Insurance
- 9. Nomura slashes India’s GDP forecast to 12.6% in FY22
- 10. Punjab National Bank launches digital initiative PNB@Ease
- Books and Authors- Current Affairs News
- Business - Current Affairs News
- 1. PhonePe becomes 1st player to cross billion-transaction mark on UPI
- 2. NPCI transfers Bharat Bill Payments business to its new subsidiary NBBL
- 3. World Bank, and AIIB approve loan for $300 million projects to Punjab
- 4. World Bank approves USD 32 million projects to Mizoram
- 5. Amazon launches $250-million Venture Fund for Digitizing SMEs in India
- Defence - Current Affairs News
- Economy - Current Affairs News
- Important Days and Theme - Current Affairs
- Obituaries - Current Affairs News
- Ranks and Reports - Current Affairs News
- Schemes - Current Affairs News
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan approves National Policy for Rare Diseases, 2021
- 2. TRIFED launches “Sankalp se Siddhi”- Village and Digital Connect Drive
- 3. NITI Aayog launches ‘Poshan Gyan’, a digital repository on health, nutrition
- 4. 'Aahaar Kranti’ mission launched by Health Ministry
- Science and Technology - Current Affairs News
- 1. Facebook and Google to build new cables under the sea called ‘Echo’ and ‘Bifrost’
- 2. Paytm Money opens new R&D centre in Pune
- 3. IIT Kanpur develops touch-sensitive watch for the visually impaired
- Summits and Conferences - Current Affairs News
- Sports - Current Affairs News
- Miscellaneous - Current Affairs News
- 1. West Central Railway becomes first fully electrified Indian Railways zone
- 2. J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurates Tulip Festival
- 3. Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal launches “NanoSniffer”
- 4. Bharat Pannu a Indian Army Officer Breaks 2 Guinness World Records
- 5. ‘Lost golden city of Luxor’ discovered by archaeologists in Egypt
- 6. “Online Grievance Management Portal” launched by Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Click here for free mock tests
- Middle String Now On Different Social Media Join Us On FACEBOOK | TELEGRAM | TWITTER | For Latest News Update.
International – Current Affairs News
1. World’s 1st Covid vaccine Carnivac-Cov for animals registered by Russia
- Russia’s agriculture safety watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor has registered the world’s first animal vaccine (Carnivac-Cov) against the novel coronavirus.
- According to Russian Scientists, the vaccine (Carnic-Cov) can prevent the development of virus mutations and the immunity will last for six months after the vaccination.
2. Carl Bildt appointed as WHO special envoy for COVID-19 Tools Accelerator
- Carl Bildt appointed as the WHO Special Envoy for the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-Accelerator).
- According to WHO it brings all the governments, scientists, businesses, civil society, and philanthropists, and global health organizations to accelerate development, production, and equitable access to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) tests, treatments, and vaccines.
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus director-general of WHO.
3. Vietnam New PM & President
- Pham Minh Chinh, a member of the Communist party will be the country’s next Prime Minister.
- Outgoing Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc was appointed the new President of Vietnam.
- Capital of Vietnam – Hanoi
- Currency of Vietnam – Vietnamese Dong
4. Kosovo’s parliament elects Vjosa Osmani as president
- Kosovo’s parliament elected Vjosa Osmani as the country’s new president. Vjosa Osmani received 71 votes out of 83 valid votes from the lawmakers at the third round of voting in the Assembly of Kosovo.
- Capital of Kosovo: Pristina.
- Currency of Kosovo: Euro.
5. Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou as New Prime Minister Niger
- Niger President Mohamed Bazoum appointed Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou as the country’s new prime minister.
- Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou was sworn as Niger’s first democratic transition of power since independence in 1960.
- Capital of Niger: Niamey.
- Currency of Niger: West African CFA franc.
6. Singapore becomes first country among 15 RCEP countries to ratify mega free trade agreement ‘RCEP’
- RCEP, an initiative led by China, is the world’s largest free trade agreement among 15 participating countries but India had opted out of it in 2019.
- 10 ASEAN economies, as well as Australia, China, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea, are the participating countries of RCEP.
- Currency: Singapore dollar
- Capital of Singapore: Singapore
- PM of Singapore: Lee Hsien Loong
7. Sanskrit learning app ‘Little Guru’ launched in Bangladesh
- Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre (IGCC) has launched a Sanskrit learning app ‘Little Guru‘ in Bangladesh.
- The Sanskrit learning app is part of the campaign being run by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR) to promote the Sanskrit language among students, religious scholars, Indologists, and historians across the world.
- With the help of the Sanskrit learning app ‘Little Guru‘ now Sanskrit learning becomes easy, entertaining, and fun said a press release issued by the High Commission of India.
- This app will help both the people who are already learning Sanskrit or those who are desirous to learn Sanskrit to do so in an easy manner based on games, competition, rewards, peer-to-peer interactions, etc.
- Prime Minister of Bangladesh: Sheikh Hasina
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- President of Bangladesh: Abdul Hamid.
8. Prime Minister of Haiti Joseph Jouthe Resigns
- Due to the increasing cases of killing and kidnapping in the past few days, Prime Minister of Haiti, Joseph Jouthe has resigned.
- Joseph Jouthe served as the Prime Minister of Haiti from March 4, 2020, until April 14, 2021.
- Now Claude Joseph is the new prime minister of Haiti nominated by President Jovenel Moise.
- Capital of Haiti: Port-au-Prince
- Currency of Haiti: Haitian gourde
National – Current Affairs News
1. Govt further extends ECLGS to June 30, 2021
- Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS 3.0) further extended by three months till June 30, 2021, and an amount of Rs. 3 lakh cr is sanctioned under the ECLGS Scheme.
- For the economic revival, the central government introduced certain modifications in the ECLGS Scheme.
- The credit limit of outstanding loans has enhanced from 20% to 40%.
- Now ECLGS Scheme also covers borrowers with total credit outstanding up to Rs 500 crore, overdue for 60 days or less on February 29, 2020, as compared to 30 days overdue earlier.
- In ECLGS 3.0, the granted loan tenor is 6 years and the repayment of principal moratorium period is 2 years.
- Now the scheme also provides an incentive to Member Lending Institutions (MLIs) to credit the availability of additional funding facilities to the qualified beneficiaries.
- The Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS) is a part of the Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Package of the Central Government to revive the economy by providing fully guaranteed and collateral-free additional credit to MSMEs, business enterprises, individuals loans for business purposes, and MUDRA borrowers.
2. Central Government announced to infuse Rs 14,500 crore capital in 4 PSBs
- The Central Government has announced to infuse Rs 14,500 crore in four PSBs (Central Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank, Bank of India, and UCO Bank). For this, the government issues non-interest-bearing bonds (Recapitalisation bonds) to these PSBs.
- After the infusion of Rs 14,500 crore, the government’s total capital infusion becomes Rs 20,000 crore in PSBs for the financial year 2020-21. Earlier Central Government infused Rs 5000 crore in Punjab and Sind Bank.
3. Education Minister launched “MyNEP2020” platform of NCTE Web Portal
- Union Education Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched the “MyNEP2020” Platform of National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) Web Portal.
- From the platform, stakeholders are invited for preparing a draft for the development of National Professional Standards for Teachers (NPST) and National Mission for Mentoring Program membership (NMM).
- This digital consultation exercise envisages the participation of teachers, education professionals, academicians, and other stakeholders in preparing the documents on teacher policy for sustainable and positive change in the Teacher’s Education Sector.
4. GoI declares 14th April as a public holiday
- On the 130th birth anniversary, Dr. BR Ambedkar, the central government has announced that from this year 14th April will be declared as a public holiday.
5. India completed the arch of world’s highest railway Chenab bridge in J&K
- Under the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Railway Link (USBRL) project, railways completed the construction of the arch of the world’s highest railway bridge that soars 359 meters above the bed of the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir was completed.
- The length of the bridge is 1.3 km long and the project cost is Rs 1486 crore.
- The construction of the Chenab bridge was declared as a national project in 2002.
- ‘Tekla’ software used for structural detailing.
- Structural steel which is used is suitable for -10°C to 40°C temperature.
- Bridge designed to withstand high wind speed up to 266 Km/Hour.
6. Tribal Health Collaborative ‘Anamaya’ Launched by Dr. Harsh Vardhan and Arjun Munda
- The Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, and the Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Shri Arjun Munda jointly launched ‘Anamaya’, the Tribal Health Collaborative on April 07, 2021, through video conference.
- Piramal Foundation and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) have supported the ‘Anamaya‘ Tribal Health Collaborative.
- This is a multi-stakeholder initiative to enhance the health and nutrition status of the tribal communities of India by converging efforts of various Government agencies and organizations.
7. SC launches AI-driven research portal ‘SUPACE’
- The Supreme Court of India has launched its Artificial Intelligence portal ‘SUPACE‘ (Supreme Court Portal for Assistance in Courts Efficiency) to leverage machine learning to deal with the vast amounts of data received at the time of filing cases.
- Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde was the first-ever chairman of the Artificial Intelligence Committee.
8. India gifts Rs 100 crore patrol vessel “PS Zoroaster” to Seychelles
- The PS Zoroaster is the fourth made-in-India patrol boat developed for Seychelles.
- President of Seychelles: Wavel Ramkalawan
- Capital of Seychelles: Victoria.
- Currency of Seychelles: Seychellois rupee.
- The continent of Seychelles: Africa.
9. Union Education Minister launches implementation plan ‘SARTHAQ’
- For the implementation of the National Education Policy 2020, Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal released an implementation plan for school education called ‘Students’ and ‘Teachers’ Holistic Advancement through Quality Education (SARTHAQ)’.
- SARTHAQ is developed by the Department of School Education and Literacy.
- Under the plan, the states and UTs have given the flexibility to adapt this plan or they can modify it as per their needs and requirements.
10. Mental-Health Digital Platform MANAS Launched by Prof. K Vijay Raghavan
- Mental Health and Normalcy Augmentation System (MANAS) is a mental health digital platform.
- MANAS is launched by the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, Prof. K Vijay Raghavan.
- MANAS has been jointly executed by NIMHANS Bengaluru, AFMC Pune, and C-DAC Bengaluru.
- This app is developed under the Prime Minister’s Science, Technology, and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC), to promote wellbeing across age groups.
11. Piyush Goyal Launches “e-SANTA”, For Aqua Farmers
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal has inaugurated e-SANTA, an electronic marketplace that provides a platform where the aqua farmers and buyers can connect without any middleman. e-SANTA aims to raise income, lifestyle, self-reliance, quality levels, traceability, of aqua farmers.
- e-SANTA stands for Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA farmers’ Trade-in Aquaculture.
- NaCSA stands for National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA). NaCSA is an extension arm of the Marine Products Export Development Authority.
State – Current Affairs News
1. Utkal Divas (Odisha Day) celebrated on 1 April
- Utkal Divas also known as Utakala Dibasha (Odisha Day) is celebrated every year on 1 April.
- Chief Minister of Odisha: Naveen Patnaik.
- Odisha Capital: Bhubaneswar.
- Odisha Governor: Ganeshi Lal.
2.Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam become first to issue Green Bonds
- Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam successfully listed itself at BSE.
- It also raised Rs. 150 Crores by issuing Municipal Bond on Private Placement Basis through BSE BOND.
- Ty this Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam becomes the first-ever Municipal Corporation in the country that issues a green bond.
- The money will be used for the construction of a tertiary sewage treatment plant at Indirapuram in Ghaziabad and for the construction of the treatment plant which will enable the sewage water to be used for industries after treatment.
- Lucknow Municipal Corporation is the first municipal corporation in UP that listed itself at BSE.
- Capital of UP: Lucknow.
- Governor of UP: Anandiben Patel.
- The Chief Minister of UP: Yogi Adityanath.
3. Maharashtra: After a fish species discovered (Amboli named as a biodiversity heritage site)
- A rare freshwater fish species ‘Schistura Hiranyakeshi‘ was discovered at Amboli in western ghats in the Sindhudurg district of Maharastra.
- Schistura Hiranyakeshi is a small and colorful fish. After this, the Maharastra government issued a notification and declared Amboli as a biodiversity heritage site.
- Governor of Maharashtra: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Capital of Maharashtra: Mumbai.
- The Chief Minister of Maharashtra: Uddhav Thackeray.
4. Rajasthan becomes the 1st state to provide free health insurance to all the citizens of Rajasthan
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot announced Chiranjeevi Health Insurance Scheme in the state budget of 2021-22.
- After this Rajasthan becomes the first state to provide free health to its citizens.
- Under this scheme, every family will get annual health insurance up to 5 lakhs.
- This health insurance includes 1576 packages for the treatment of various diseases.
- Along with all the cost of treatment it will also cover OPD, examination, medicines, and other medical expenses up to 15 days from discharge.
- Chief Minister of Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- Capital of Rajasthan: Jaipur
5. India’s biggest floating solar power plant to be set up at Ramagundam in Telangana
- India’s biggest floating solar power plant is to be set up at at the Ramagundam Thermal Power Plant reservoir in Telangana with an estimated project cost of Rs 423. The power plant will have 4.5 lakh photovoltaic panels and the capacity of the solar power plant is 100 MW.
- The solar power plant is being set up at the Ramagundam Thermal Power Plant reservoir.
- The solar power plant is to be set up in 450 acres of the Ramagundam Thermal Power Plant reservoir.
- The floating solar power plant project is commissioned by NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation).
- Capital of Telangana: Hyderabad.
- Governor of Telangana: Tamilisai Soundararajan.
- The Chief minister of Telangana: K. Chandrashekar Rao.
6. Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘mask abhiyan’ to prevent the spread of Covid-19
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched “Mask Abhiyan” for 14 days to prevent the spread of coronavirus. He also urged people to strictly follow the safety guidelines.
- Chief Minister of Odisha: Naveen Patnaik.
- Capital of Odisha: Bhubaneswar.
- Odisha Governor: Ganeshi Lal.
7. Punjab appointed Sonu Sood as state’s Covid vaccination ambassador
- Punjab’s Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh appointed bollywood actor Sonu Sood as a brand ambassador for Punjab’s anti-coronavirus vaccination program.
- The Chief Minister of Punjab: Captain Amarinder Singh.
- Governor of Punjab: V.P.Singh Badnore.
- Capital of Punjan: Chandigarh
8. Maharashtra becomes first India’s state to get FSRU based LNG
- India’s first Floating Storage and Regasification Unit (FSRU) has arrived at H-Energy’s Jaigarh Terminal in the Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
- The main focus of FSRU based LNG terminals is to providing the potentiality to amplify the pace of natural gas import capacity in an environment-friendly and efficient manner.
- The port is the first deepwater, 24×7 operational private port in Maharashtra.
- Governor of Maharashtra: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Capital of Maharashtra: Mumbai.
- The Chief Minister of Maharashtra: Uddhav Thackeray.
9. Himachal Day is observed on 15th April
- Himachal Day is observed on 15th April every year in Himachal Pradesh. The state became a full-fledged state on this day in 1971.
- Capital of Himachal Pradesh: Shimla
- Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh: Jairam Thakur
- Governor of Himachal Pradesh: Bandaru Dattatraya
Agreements – Current Affairs News
1. AYUSH Ministry in collab with Vinoba Seva Pratishthan organizes ‘Ayurveda Parav’
- Vinoba SevaPratisthan (VSP), in collaboration with the Ministry of AYUSH, has successfully organized a 3-day Ayurveda Paravin Bhubaneswar to promote Ayurveda as the mainstream treatment for lifestyle-related diseases.
- Minister of State (IC) of the Ministry of AYUSH: Shripad Yesso Naik.
2. ICICI Bank and PhonePe Tie Up For Issuance of FASTags
- ICICI Bank and PhonePe join their hands for the issuance of FASTag using UPI on the PhonePe App. This will allow all the registered PhonePe users to order and track the ICICI Bank FASTag conveniently on the PhonePe App.
- PhonePe users, who may be customers of any bank, now buy FASTag online and they do not have to visit any physical stores.
- ICICI become the first bank to partner with PhonePe for the issuance of FASTag.
- ICICI Bank Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- ICICI Bank MD & CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi.
- ICICI Bank Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khayal Apka.
- CEO of Phonepe: Sameer Nigam
- Headquarters location of Phonepe: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
3. Bharti Airtel sells 800 MHz spectrum in three circles to Reliance Jio
- Bharti Airtel has a definitive trading deal with Reliance Jio Infocomm to transfer ‘Right to Use’ its 800 MHz spectrum in three circles (Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, and Mumbai) to the Mukesh Ambani-led firm.
- Bharti Airtel will receive Rs 1,037.6 crores from Reliance Jio for the proposed transfer. In addition, Reliance Jio will assume future liabilities of ₹459 crores relating to the spectrum.
- Bharti Airtel CEO: Gopal Vittal
- Bharti Airtel Founder: Sunil Bharti Mittal
- Bharti Airtel Founded: 7 July 1995
- Reliance Industries Ltd Founder: Dhirubhai Hirachand Ambani
- Reliance Industries Ltd Chief Executive Officer(CEO): Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani
- Reliance Industries Ltd Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
4. Bharti AXA Life and Fincare SFB join hands for bancassurance partnership
- Bharti Axa Life and Fincare Small Finance Bank have joined their hands. Under this partnership Fincare Small Finance Bank will sell insurance policies of Bharti Axa Life to its customers.
- Under the partnership, the customers of Fincare Small Finance Bank can access Bharti AXA Life Insurance products including protection, savings, and investment plans, etc.
- MD and CEO of Bharti AXA Life Insurance: Parag Raja
- MD & CEO Fincare Small Finance Bank: Rajeev Yadav
5. India sign MoU with France for cooperation on Gaganyaan Mission
- ISRO has signed an agreement with France space agency CNES for cooperation in its first human space mission, Gaganyaan.
- According to the agreement, CNES will train Indian flight physicians and CAPCOM mission control teams at French facilities.
- CNES will also provide equipment like fireproof carry bags to ISRO.
- ISRO Chairman: K.Sivan.
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- ISRO established: 15 August 1969.
Appointments – Current Affairs News
1. Subhash Kumar takes additional charge as CMD of ONGC
- Subhash Kumar Director (Finance) at ONGC has taken the additional charge as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
- Kumar succeeds Shashi Shanker.
- ONGC Headquarters: Vasant Kunj, Delhi.
- ONGC CEO: Shashi Shanker.
2. Mukhmeet S. Bhatia takes over as Director-General of ESIC
- Senior IAS officer, Mukhmeet S. Bhatia become the Director-General of Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) on April 04, 2021.
- ESIC is a Statutory and an Autonomous Body under the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- Employees’ State Insurance Corporation Headquarters: New Delhi.
3. Mallika Srinivasan appointed as the chairperson of PESB
- Mallika Srinivasan, CMD of Tractors and Farm Equipment (TAFE) Limited has appointed as the chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB).
- For the first time, a private sector specialist has been appointed as the head of the PESB, responsible for the appointment of top management posts in the Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
- Tenure- three years from the date of assumption of charge, or until the attainment of the age of 65 years
- Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions: Narendra Modi.
- Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions: Jitendra Singh.
4. Urjit Patel appointed as additional director of Britannia
- Former RBI Governor Dr. Urjit Patel has become the Additional Director of Britannia Industries with effect from 31st March 2021 for the tenure of 5 years.
- Britannia CEO: Varun Berry
- Britannia Headquarters: Bengaluru
4. Adil Zainulbhai appointed chairman of Capacity Building Commission
- Adil Zainulbhai former Quality Council of India (QCI) chief has been appointed as the chairman of Capacity Building Commission.
- The government has approved a three members commission under National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB), also known as ‘Mission Karmayogi’, to train civil servants at all levels.
- The Commission will comprise of three member a Chairperson and two other Members.
5. Virat Kohli become the brand ambassad of Digit Insurance
- Digit Insurance has appointed Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador. Digit Insurance has become the first unicorn of 2021 with a valuation of $1.9B.
- With this association, the company aims to carry the message of ‘making insurance simple’ through the cricketer.
6. Shabir Khandwawala appointed new BCCI ACU chief
- Shabir Hussein Shekhadam Khandwawala former Gujarat Director General of Police (DGP) before, is the new BCCI Anti-Corruption Unit chief.
- Secretary of BCCI: Jay Shah
- President of BCCI: Sourav Ganguly
- Headquarters of BCCI: Mumbai, Maharashtra
7. Justice N V Ramana appointed as the new CJI
- Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana has been appointed as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- Justice Ramana would succeed CJI Sharad Arvind Bobde to take over as the 48th CJI.
- Tenure- April 24, 2021, till August 26, 2022.
8. Cabinet Appointed Tarun Bajaj as new Revenue Secretary
- Tarun Bajaj appointed as the new Revenue Secretary by the central government under the Ministry of Finance.
- Tarun Bajaj was serving as the Economic Affairs Secretary since April 30, 2020.
- Now Ajay Seth has become the new Economic Affairs Secretary.
9. Chintan Vaishnav appointed as Mission Director of Atal Innovation Mission
- Well-known socio-technologist, Dr. Chintan Vaishnav has been appointed the new mission director of Atal Innovation Mission (AIM). AIM is the government’s flagship initiative under NITI Aayog.
- Dr. Chintan Vaishnav will take over from Ramanathan Ramanan later this month.
10. Govt Appoints S Ramann as new CMD of SIDBI
- S Ramann has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) by the Government of India.
- His appointment is for a period of three years from the date of his assuming the charge or until further orders.
- SIDBI Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
11. Poonam Gupta to head NCAER as its first woman DG
- Poonam Gupta will become the new director-general of the policy think tank National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER).
- Poonam Gupta will be the first woman to hold this post and she will succeed the current head of the think tank, Shekhar Shah.
- Poonam Gupta is the lead economist at the World Bank in Washington DC.
- NCAER Headquarters: New Delhi.
12. Sushil Chandra the next Chief Election Commissioner
- Election Commissioner (EC) named Sushil Chandra to become the next Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India. Before him, Sunil Arora was the CEC. He had retired on April 12, 2021.
- The Election Commission of India consists of three members, Chief Election Commissioner, and two Election Commissioners. The two other ECs are Rajiv Kumar and Sushil Chandra.
- Election Commission Headquarters: New Delhi
- First executive of Election Commission: Sukumar Sen
13. Siddharth Longjam appointed new NADA DG
- Siddharth Singh Longjam (IAS Officer) will take over as the National Anti-Doping Agency’s Director-General.
- Siddharth Singh Longjam will replace Navin Agarwal who listed the creation of Athletes Biological Passport (ABP) for around 60 elite Indian sportspersons as one of the highlights of his tenure.
- NADA Headquarters location: New Delhi
Awards – Current Affairs News
|Rajinikanth (Actor)||51st Dadasaheb Phalke Awards (highest film honour in India)|
|Biswabhusan Harichandan (Andhra Pradesh Governor)||Kalinga Ratna Samman for 2021|
|Alfred V. Aho||2020 Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) A.M. Turing Award (informally known as Nobel Prize of computin)|
|Suman Chakraborty (mechanical engineering faculty IIT Kharagpur)||30th GD Birla Award for Scientific Research|
|Dutee Chand||Chhattisgarh Veerni Award (given for the contribution of Indian women in different fields, including sports)|
|Yusuffali MA (Indian Business Tycoon)||Abu Dhabi’s top civilian award|
|Guneet Monga (producer)||Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (Chevalier dans I’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres) (second-highest civilian French honour)|
|Kane Williamson (Cricketer Newzeland)||Sir Richard Hadlee medal|
|“Puglya” (Marathi Film)||Best Foreign Language Feature award at Moscow International Film Festival, 2021|
BAFTA 2021 TV Awards – Current Affairs
|Leading Actress||Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You|
|Leading Actor||Paul Mescal, Normal People|
|Drama Series||Save Me Too|
|Best Comedy Performance||Charlie Cooper and Aimee Lou Wood|
|Best Comedy Series||Inside No. 9|
|Original Music||Harry Escott, Roadkill|
|Sports||England v West Indies Test Cricket – Sky Sports Cricket|
Banking– Current Affairs News
1. SBI inks USD 1 billion loan agreement with JBIC
- State Bank of India (SBI), has raised $1 billion from Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) to extend loans to the manufacturers, suppliers, and dealers of Japanese automobiles in India.
- This collaboration between SBI and JBIC will help the bank in extending loan facilities to the entire supply chain in the country.
- Earlier in October 2020, SBI inked a similar loan agreement with JBIC of $1 billion, so now the total loan becomes $2billion.
- SBI Chairperson: Dinesh Kumar Khara.
- SBI Headquarters: Mumbai.
- SBI Founded: 1 July 1955.
2. Axis Bank to sell UK arm to tech platform OpenPayd Holdings Ltd
- Axis Bank has entered into a Share Purchase Agreement to sell its 100 percent stake in its subsidiary, Axis Bank UK Limited to OpenPayd Holdings Ltd.
- The agreement will compete after the approval by the UK Financial Regulator, the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).
- According to the book value, the net asset value of Axis Bank UK Limited is $5.5 million.
- Axis Bank Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Axis Bank Tagline: Dil Se Open.
- Axis Bank MD and CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry.
3. RBI increases WMA limits for the State Governments/UTs
- The RBI has increased the limit for Way and Means Advances (WMA) for the State Governments/UTs by 46%.
- Earlier the WMA limit was Rs. 32,225 crores and now it becomes Rs. 47,010 crore.
- The recommendation to increase WMA has presented by a committee headed by Shri Sudhir Shrivastava.
4. RBI increase maximum balance limit per account in Payments Banks
- The Reserve Bank of India has increased the maximum balance limit at end of the day maintained in Payments Bank from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 2 lakh per individual customer.
- This will motivate Payments Bank for financial inclusion and expand their ability to cater to the needs of their customers, including MSMEs, small traders and merchants.
5. RBI enhances Loan limit under Priority Sector Lending against eNWR/NWR
- The Reserve Bank of India has increased the loan limit from (Rs 50 to Rs 75) lakh per borrower against the pledge/hypothecation of agricultural produce secured by Negotiable Warehouse Receipts (NWRs)/electronic-NWRs(e-NWRs) issued by the warehouses that are registered and regulated under the Warehousing Development and Regulatory Authority (WDRA).
- WDRA Established: 2010
- WDRA HQ: New Delhi
6. SBI MF becomes first mutual fund company to cross Rs 5 lakh crore AAUM
- SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd has become the first mutual fund company in India to cross the Rs. 5 lakh crore average assets under management (AAUM) mark. SBI Mutual Fund has seen an immense growth of 35% during the last financial year 2020-21. In the financial year 2020-2021, the average AUM of SBI increases from Rs 3.73 lakh crore to Rs 5.04 lakh crore.
- SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd is a joint venture between India’s largest lender, the State Bank of India, and Europe’s largest asset manager, Amundi. The fund house’s SIP book has recorded a growth of 17%. In terms of amount, the SIP book increased to ₹1,382 crores from ₹1,180 crores over the last year.
7. Airtel Payments Bank has announced ‘Rewards123’ savings account
- Airtel Payments Bank recently launched its new ‘Rewards123’ savings account. In Reward123, the payment bank will facilitate its customers with perks and rewards.
- The company claims that Reward123 is designed to offer consistent value with assured rewards on all the different types of digital transitions throughout the year.
- According to the Airtel Payments Bank, its newly launched ‘Rewards123’ savings bank account will give multiple benefits to its customers with annual earnings of up to Rs960.
- Along with this users will also get 1% cashback when they load Rs 1,000 through UPI in their saving account. Every customer will get a maximum of Rs10 per month as a part of this benefit.
- Airtel Payments Bank’s MD and CEO: Nubrata Biswas
- Airtel Payments Bank Headquarters: New Delhi
- Airtel Payments Bank Founded: January 2017
8. Axis Bank becomes co-promoter of Max Life Insurance
- Axis Bank Ltd confirms that the Axis Entities (Axis Capital Limited and Axis Securities Limited) acquired a 12.99% stake in Max Life Insurance and now the bank become co-promoters of Max Life Insurance Company Limited.
- Max Life Insurance CEO: Prashant Tripathy;
- Max Life Insurance Founded: 2001;
- Max Life Insurance Headquarters: New Delhi;
- Axis Bank CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry;
- Axis Bank Headquarters: Mumbai;
- Axis Bank Founded: 1993.
9. Nomura slashes India’s GDP forecast to 12.6% in FY22
- Nomura (a Japanese brokerage company) has revised India’s GDP forecast for the financial year 2021-22 (FY22) from 13.5% to 12.6%. This is due to the rising cases of COVID and higher inflation.
10. Punjab National Bank launches digital initiative PNB@Ease
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) has launched a digital initiative “PNB@Ease” on its 127th foundation day (Apr 12, 2021). Under PNB@Ease, customers will avail of all banking services under one roof and every transaction undertaken by a bank branch will be initiated and authorized by customers themselves.
- The official said that the PNB@Ease will boost the banking distribution and reduce the cost of customer acquisition. Now customers can open saving accounts, apply for various loans, and more, visiting branches.
- Punjab National Bank Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Punjab National Bank MD and CEO: S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao.
- Punjab National Bank Founded: 19 May 1894, Lahore, Pakistan.
Books and Authors– Current Affairs News
|Suparipalana||Dr. Shailendra Joshi (‘Suparipalana’ is the Telugu translation of “Echo T Calling: Towards People-Centric Governance”, written by former Telangana Chief Secretary, Shri S K Joshi.)||Venkaiah Naidu|
|Manohar Parrikar: Brilliant Mind, Simple Life||Nitin Gokhale (published by Bloomsbury)|
|Odisha Itihaas||Utkal Keshari Harekrushna Mahtab||PM Narendra Modi|
Business – Current Affairs News
1. PhonePe becomes 1st player to cross billion-transaction mark on UPI
- PhonePe (a bengaluru-based Company) has become the first company to cross 1 billion transactions in March 2021, on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) infrastructure.
- CEO of Phonepe: Sameer Nigam
- Headquarters location of Phonepe: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
2. NPCI transfers Bharat Bill Payments business to its new subsidiary NBBL
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has transferred all its Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) transaction business to NPCI Bharat BillPay Limited (NBBL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of NPCI.
- NPCI MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe.
- NPCI Headquarters: Mumbai.
- NPCI Founded: 2008.
3. World Bank, and AIIB approve loan for 0 million projects to Punjab
- The World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) have approved the loan for USD 300 million canal-based drinking water projects in Punjab.
- The canal-based drinking water project is aimed at ensuring quality drinking water and minimize water losses for Amritsar and Ludhiana.
- President of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank: Jin Liqun.
- Headquarters of AIIB: Beijing, China.
- AIIB established: 16 January 2016.
- CM of Punjab: Captain Amarinder Singh.
- Governor of Punjab: V.P.Singh Badnore.
4. World Bank approves USD 32 million projects to Mizoram
- The World Bank Board of Executive Directors has approved a USD 32 million project to Mizoram for the improvement of its management capacity and quality of health services.
- The title of the project is “Mizoram Health Systems Strengthening Project” and it will strengthen the governance and the management structure of the Mizoram Health department and its subsidiaries.
- This project will support the state government’s efforts to deliver quality healthcare for the poor and vulnerable people and those located in remote areas.
- World Bank Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- World Bank Formation: July 1944
- World Bank President: David Malpass
- Chief Minister of Mizoram: Pu Zoramthanga; Governor: P.S. Sreedharan Pillai
5. Amazon launches 0-million Venture Fund for Digitizing SMEs in India
- Amazon has launched a $250 million (Rs 1,873 crore) venture fund called “Amazon Smbhav Venture Fund”. This fund will be invested in Indian startups and entrepreneurs, with a focus on digitizing SMEs.
- Amazon Smbhav Venture Fund aims to attract and support new innovative ideas and empower entrepreneurs in the country.
- As a part of Amazon Smbhav Venture Fund, amazon first invested in Gurugram-based M1xchange which connects SMEs with banks and financiers.
- Amazon.com Inc founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos.
- Amazon.com Inc Founded: 5 July 1994.
- Amazon.com Inc Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, United States.
Defence – Current Affairs News
1. Indian Army to participate in Military Exercise SHANTIR OGROSHENA 2021
- ‘SHANTIR OGROSHENA’ 2021 (Front Runner of the Peace) is a multinational military exercise that is scheduled to be held in Bangladesh from April 04 to 12, 2021.
- On the 50 years of liberation of the country, Bangladesh is performing ‘SHANTIR OGROSHENA‘ military exercise with the theme of “Robust Peace Keeping Operations”. Along with this, the exercise is being held to commemorate the birth centenary of Bangladesh ‘Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- Along with the Indian Army, Royal Bhutan Army, Sri Lankan Army, and Bangladesh Army are also participating in this multinational exercise.
- USA, UK, Turkey, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Singapore are also attending this military exercise as military observers.
2. Lightweight Bullet Proof Jacket developed by DRDO lab
- DRDO and DMSRDE Kanpur developed a LightWeight Bullet Proof Jacket (Front Hard Armour Panel jacket) and the jacket was tested successfully at TBRL Chandigarh and met relevant BIS standards.
- Chairman DRDO: Dr. G Satheesh Reddy
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi
- DRDO Established: 1958
3. DRDO develops Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard naval ships
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard naval ships against missile attacks.
- Chaff is a passive expendable electronic countermeasure technology used worldwide to protect naval ships from enemy radar and Radio Frequency (RF) missile seekers.
- The importance of this development lies in the fact that a very little quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as a decoy to deflect the enemy’s missiles for the safety of the ships.
- Chairman DRDO: Dr. G Satheesh Reddy.
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi.
- DRDO Established: 1958.
Economy – Current Affairs News
1. Govt pegs market borrowing at Rs 7.24 lakh crore in 1st half of FY22
- The central government has decided to borrow Rs 7.24 lakh crore (from dated securities and treasury bills) in the first half of the financial year 2021-22 to revive the country’s economy that has disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic. This borrowing is 60.06 percent of the estimated gross issuances for fiscal 2021-22.
- The borrowing is 60.06% of the estimated gross borrowing of Rs 12.05 lakh crore.
2. World Bank revised GDP growth projection for India to 10.1% for FY22
- The World Bank has revised upward the GDP growth projections for India. As per the new projection, India’s GDP growth will be 10.7% for the financial year 2021-22. Earlier the world bank had projected that the GDP growth at 5.4% for FY22.
- World Bank Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States.
- World Bank Formation: July 1944.
- World Bank President: David Malpass.
2. UNESCAP: India’s Economic Growth Of 7% in 2021-22
- The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) latest data shows that India’s estimated economic growth for the financial year 2021-22 will be 7%.
- UNESCAP Founded: 28 March 1947.
- UNESCAP Headquarters: Bangkok, Thailand.
3. IMF revises GDP growth forecast of India to 12.5% for FY22
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has raised India’s economic growth forecast by 100 basis points to 12.5% for the fiscal year 2021-22. GDP growth for the financial year 2022-23 is pegged at 6.9%.
- According to the report, India is the only country among major world economies that is projected to grow at a double-digit rate during FY22.
Important Days and Theme – Current Affairs
|Date||Important Days||Theme (2021)|
|2 April||World Autism Awareness Day (raise awareness about people with Autism Spectrum Disorder)|
|2 April||International Children’s Book Day (inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children’s books.)||The Music of Words|
|4 April||International Mine Awareness Day||Perseverance, Partnership, and Progress|
|5 April||International Day of Conscience (celebrated to highlight that everyone has self-respect and the right to live with peace and security.)|
|5 April||National Maritime Day (On this day an award called “Varuna” is conferred to those who made an outstanding contribution to the Indian maritime sector.)|
|6 April||International Day of Sport for Development and Peace|
|7 April||World Health Day||Building a fairer, healthier world for everyone|
|10 April||World Homeopathy Day (spread awareness about homeopathy and its contribution to the world of medicine.)||Homeopathy – Roadmap for Integrative Medicine|
|April 11||National Safe Motherhood Day (National Safe Motherhood Day is an initiative of the White Ribbon Alliance India (WRAI))|
|April 11||World Parkinson’s Day (raise awareness of Parkinson’s disease, which is a progressive nervous system disorder.)|
|April 12||International Day of Human Space Flight|
|April 13||International Turban Day|
|14 April||World Chagas Disease Day (raise public awareness and visibility among people about Chagas Disease.)|
|14 April||Ambedkar Jayanti|
|April 16||World Voice Day||ONE WORLD|MANY VOICES|
Obituaries – Current Affairs News
|Isamu Akasaki (Japan)||Professor and co-winner of the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics|
|Shashikala||Actress (Padma Shri honoured)|
|Bhagwati Singh||Politics (Founder member of the Samajwadi Party)|
|P. Balachandran||Malayalam films screenwriter|
|Digvijaysinh Zala||Politics (Former Union Environment Minister)|
|Radheshyam Khemka||Editor and president of Gita Press|
|Chandra Naidu||India’s first female cricket commentator|
|Fatima Rafiq Zakaria||Journalist and Padma awardee|
|Prince Philip (UK)||Husband of Queen Elizabeth II (he was 99 years old)|
|Sanjay Chakravarty||Sports (Shooting Coach and Dronacharya awardee)|
|Balbir Singh Junior||Sports (Hockey Player)|
|Yogesh Praveen||Historian (Padma Shri Awardee)|
|GVG Krishnamurty||Public Servant (Former election commissioner)|
Ranks and Reports – Current Affairs News
1. India ranks 140th in WEF’s gender gap index 2021
- Global Gender Gap Index is prepared by the World Economic Forum. Global Gender Gap Index is prepared on the basis of economic opportunities, education, health, and political leadership.
- India rank Global Gender Gap Report 2021 – 140 (among 156 countries)
- India rank Global Gender Gap Report 2020 – 112 (among 153 countries)
- Iceland has topped the index as the most gender-equal country in the world for the 12th time.
- Afghanistan is the worst-performing country in the report.
- World Economic Forum Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland.
- World Economic Forum Founder: Klaus Schwab.
- World Economic Forum Founded: January 1971.
2. Jeff Bezos tops Forbes’ Annual Billionaire list (fourth year in a row)
- The Amazon.com Inc founder, Jeff Bezos has topped Forbes’ annual world’s billionaires list for the fourth consecutive year.
- Mukesh Ambani ranked at 10th position with a total net worth of USD 84.5 billion.
- The 35th edition Forbes World’s Billionaires list was released on April 06, 2021, comprising a record-breaking 2,755 billionaires.
- The list is prepared based on the wealth using stock prices and exchange rates from March 5, 2021.
3. Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020 published
- The 2020 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) is released by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc Bangalore) has secured the top position among the best higher education institutes in India.
- Calcutta University became the best varsity in the country, as per the published Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU 2020).
- None of the Indian institutes are in the top 100 list. The best higher education institute, (IISc Bangalore) is in the category of 501- 600 in ARWU data.
3. India ranks 49th in Inclusive Internet Index 2021
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), in partnership with Facebook, has released the Inclusive Internet Index 2021.
- India along with Thailand has been ranked at 49th spot globally.
- The top 5 Countries in the Inclusive Internet Index are Sweden, United States, Spain, Australia, and Hong Kong.
- The Inclusive Internet Index is prepared on the basis of Availability, Affordability, Relevance, and Readiness categories.
- The Inclusive Internet Index is commissioned by Facebook and developed by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
Schemes – Current Affairs News
Dr. Harsh Vardhan approves National Policy for Rare Diseases, 2021
- Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan has recently approved National Policy for Rare Diseases, 2021. The main objective of the National Policy for Rare Diseases is to reduce the cost of treatment for rare diseases by focusing on indigenous research & local production of medicines.
- The policy also focusing on developing infrastructures like Health and Wellness Centres and District Early Intervention Centres for early screening and prevention of diseases through primary and secondary health care systems.
- National Policy for Rare Diseases, 2021 a provision for financial support up to Rs.20 lakh under the Umbrella Scheme of Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi is proposed to treat those diseases that need one-time treatment.
- Benefits to be extended to about 40% of the population eligible under PM Jan Arogya Yojana.
2. TRIFED launches “Sankalp se Siddhi”- Village and Digital Connect Drive
- Tribal Co-operative Marketing Federation of India (TRIFED) has launched a program ‘Sankalp Se Siddhi‘– Village and Digital Connect Drive. It is a 100 days drive to connect all the 1500 villages of the country. The main focus of Sankalp Se Siddhi is to activate Van Dhan Vikas Kendras.
- The team will also identify the local or tribal artisans and letter support them to access larger markets through Tribes India Network (Physical outlets and TribeIndia.com).
- Minister of Tribal Affairs: Arjun Munda.
3. NITI Aayog launches ‘Poshan Gyan’, a digital repository on health, nutrition
- NITI Aayog, in partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Centre for Social and Behaviour Change, Ashoka University launched called “Poshan Gyan”, a national digital repository on health and nutrition.
- Here anyone can submit communication material and this will available for everyone after reviewing it by a designated committee.
4. ‘Aahaar Kranti’ mission launched by Health Ministry
- Union Health Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched the ‘Aahaar Kranti’ mission which is fully dedicated to spreading awareness about nutrition.
Science and Technology – Current Affairs News
1. Facebook and Google to build new cables under the sea called ‘Echo’ and ‘Bifrost’
- Facebook and Google are planning to build new subsea cables (Echo and Bifrost) from the US to Singapore and Indonesia. It will create new connections between the Asia-Pacific region and North America.
- For the project, Facebook has partnered with the leading regional or global players.
- Google CEO: Sundar Pichai.
- Google Founded: 4 September 1998, California, United States.
- Google Founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin.
- Chief Executive Officer of Facebook: Mark Zuckerberg.
- Facebook Headquarters: California, US.
2. Paytm Money opens new R&D centre in Pune
- Paytm Money has recently set up a new R&D facility in Pune, Maharashtra, that will drive product innovation, especially in the area of equity, mutual funds, and digital gold.
- Paytm Money goals to achieve over 10 million users and 75 million yearly transactions in FY21
- Paytm HQ: Noida, Uttar Pradesh;
- Paytm Founder & CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
- Paytm Money CEO: Varun Sridhar.
3. IIT Kanpur develops touch-sensitive watch for the visually impaired
- Professor Siddhartha Panda and Vishwaraj Srivastava of IIT Kanpur have developed a novel touch-sensitive watch for the use of visually impaired people to sense time accurately.
- The watch is a haptic watch with a tactile interface and tactile hour indicators of different shapes that make it easy for visually impaired people to recognize them.
Summits and Conferences – Current Affairs News
1. Nirmala Sitharaman attends 103rd Development Committee Meeting of World Bank-IMF
- Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman attends the 103rd Meeting of the Development Committee Plenary, via video conferencing.
- World Bank Group (WBG) and International Monetary Fund support for Debt Relief Under the Common Framework and Beyond
- During the meeting, Sitharaman informed that the Government of India has announced several packages like Aatma Nirbhar Packages of Rs 27.1 trillion, she also said that these packages would provide social protection to the poor and vulnerable group of people and also push forward the economic reforms.
2. India-Netherlands Virtual Summit
- PM Narendra Modi and PM of the Netherlands Mr. Mark Rutte held a Virtual Summit. During the virtual Summit, the two leaders reviewed the existing bilateral engagements and also exchanged views on further expanding and diversifying the relationship in trade and economy, water management, agriculture sector, smart cities, science & technology, healthcare, and space.
- They also agreed on instituting a ‘Strategic Partnership on Water’ by upgrading the Joint Working Group on the water to Ministerial-level.
- They also exchanged views on regional and global challenges such as climate change, counter-terrorism and the Covid-19 pandemic and agreed to leverage the emerging convergences in new areas like Indo-Pacific, Resilient Supply Chains, and Global Digital Governance.
- Capital of Netherlands: Amsterdam
- Currency: Euro
3. Rajnath Singh inaugurates IAF Commanders’ Conference 2021
- First bi-annual Indian Air Force, IAF Commanders’ Conference 2021 inaugurated by the Defence Minister Rajnath Singh h at Air Headquarters Vayu Bhawan in New Delhi.
- Air Officers Commanding-in-Chief of all Commands of IAF, all Principal Staff Officers, and all Director Generals posted at Air Headquarters attended the conference.
- Air Chief Marshal: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
4. PM Modi Inaugurates 6th Raisina Dialogue
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 2021 “Raisina Dialogue”, through video-conferencing (from April 13 to 16, 2021).
- The Raisina Dialogue 2021 is the sixth edition of the annual dialogue and this is the first full digital form for dialogue due to the coronavirus pandemic. organized from April 13 to 16, 2021, in full digital form for the first time due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The theme for the 2021 Raisina Dialogue is “#ViralWorld: Outbreaks, Outliers and Out of Control”.
- Minister of External Affairs: S. Jaishankar.
Sports – Current Affairs News
- Lewis Hamilton won Bahrain Grand Prix 2021
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes ) got his bid for an eighth world title off to a thrilling start with victory in the Bahrain Grand Prix 2021.
- Max Verstappen (Red bull) stands at 2nd position and V Bottas (Mercedes ) stands at 3rd Position.
2. Aniyan Midhun wins gold at South Asian Wushu tourney
- Aniyan Midhun of Nattika won the gold in the 70-kg category at the South Asian Wushu Championship (hosted in Nepal on March 31).
- He is the first Wushu player from southern India to reach in national team.
- Midhun is a black belt in karate and he is also a national champion in wushu as well as kickboxing.
3. Tashkent to host 2023 AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships
- President of the International Boxing Association (AIBA) Umar Kremlev during his visit to Uzbekistan officially announced that AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships 2023 will take place in Tashkent.
- Capital of Uzbekistan: Tashkent.
- President of Uzbekistan: Shavkat Mirziyoyev.
- Currency of Uzbekistan: Uzbekistani soʻm.
4. Hurkacz beats Sinner to win Miami Open
- Hubert Hurkacz (Poland) won the biggest title of his career by beating 19-year-old Jannik Sinner of Italy by 7-6 (4), 6-4 in the Miami Open final. Hurkacz became his country’s first Masters 1000 champion.
5. FIFA suspends Pakistan and Chad football federations
- Due to the claim of outside interference in PPF and CFA, FIFA has suspended the Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) and Chadian Football Association (FTFA).
- The suspension will be lifted after the relevant government decisions have been repealed.
- President of FIFA: Gianni Infantino; Founded: 21 May 1904.
- Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland.
6. Kiren Rijiju inaugurates Khelo India State Centre of Excellence in Srinagar
- Union Minister for Sports & Youth Affairs, Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Khelo India State Centre of Excellence (KISCE) for Rowing discipline at the Jammu & Kashmir Sports Council Water Sports Academy at the Nehru Park in the world-famous Dal Lake in Srinagar.
- This is one of the two KISCEs from Jammu & Kashmir. The other KISCE is Maulana Azad Stadium for Fencing discipline in Jammu.
Miscellaneous – Current Affairs News
1. West Central Railway becomes first fully electrified Indian Railways zone
- Indian Railways’ West Central Railway zone gets fully electrified!, after CCRS Inspection and Commissioning of electrification of Kota – Chittaurgarh railway section (Srinagar – Jalindri) in the state of Rajasthan.
- West Central Railways has become India’s first fully electrified railway zone. The zonal railway now boasts a 3012 Route Km electrified network.
2. J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurates Tulip Festival
- Tulip Festival (held from 3rd to 7th of April) was inaugurated by Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha in J&K.
- Over 15 lakh flowers of more than 64 varieties are in full bloom on the foothills of the Zabarwan Mountains.
- Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip garden in Asia’s largest tulip garden at the foothills of Zabarwan hills on the banks of world-famous Dal Lake in Srinagar.
3. Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal launches “NanoSniffer”
- The Union Education Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched the world’s first Microsensor based Explosive Trace Detector (ETD) called “NanoSniffer”.
- It has been developed by NanoSniff Technologies, an IIT Bombay incubated startup.
4. Bharat Pannu a Indian Army Officer Breaks 2 Guinness World Records
- Indian Army’s Lieutenant Colonel, Bharat Pannu has earned two Guinness World Records for his fastest solo cycling feats from October 2020. The first record was created when Lt Col Pannu cycled from Leh to Manali (472 km distance) on October 10, 2020, in just 35 hours and 25 minutes.
- Lt Col Pannu created a second record when he cycled the 5,942-km-long ‘Golden Quadrilateral’ route, which connects Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata, in 14 days, 23 hours, and 52 minutes.
5. ‘Lost golden city of Luxor’ discovered by archaeologists in Egypt
- The 3,400-year-old royal city was built by Amenhotep III, ‘Lost golden city of Luxor’ discovered by archaeologists in Egypt.
6. “Online Grievance Management Portal” launched by Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Union Minister for Communication & IT and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad launched the “Online Grievance Management Portal of National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC)”.
- NCSC Grievance Management portal facilitates the Scheduled Castes to register their complaint from any part of the country.
- The portal shall enable them to file their application and other atrocity and services-related grievances online and to get them addressed in a time-bound manner.
- Bhaskaracharya Institute for Space Applications and Geoinformatics (BISAG-N)has designed the portal.