On September 22, President Ram Nath Kovind will confer the National Service Scheme Award, NSS Awards for the year 2018-19 from Rashtrapati Bhawan through virtual mode.
Department of Youth Affairs confers every year the National Service Scheme Award to recognize and reward outstanding contributions towards voluntary community service made by the Universities or Colleges, (2) Councils, Senior Secondary, NSS Units or Programme Officers and NSS Volunteers, with a view to further promote NSS in the country.
Highlights of NSS Award 2018-19:
- The National Service Scheme (NSS) Award for the year 2018-19 will be given to 42 awardees in 3 different categories like University or 2 Council, NSS Units and their Programme Officers and NSS Volunteers.
- At present, NSS has about 40 lakh volunteers on its rolls spread over the country.
- NSS is a Centrally Sector Scheme which was launched in the year 1969 with the primary objective of developing the personality and character of the student youth through voluntary community service.
- The ideological orientation of the NSS is inspired by the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi. Very appropriately, the motto of NSS is “NOT ME, BUT YOU” in Hindi its स्वयं से पहले आप.
- NSS volunteers work on issues of social relevance like literacy and education, health, family welfare and nutrition, environment conservation, social service programmes, programmes for the empowerment of women, programmes connected with economic development activities, rescue and relief during calamities.
Source : AIR