Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development Smt Smriti Zubin Irani today said that the innovative spirit of India needs to be institutionalized for developing eco-friendly and cost-friendly alternative ideas that can also be utilized to create job opportunities.
- Textile Grand Challenge 2019 had organized by Ministry of Textiles in keeping with Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s clarion call to take decisive action for plastic waste management during his Independence Day speech on 15th August 2019.
- In the virtual award ceremony, the Union Minister said that the contribution of innovative ideas by the participants is an indication that the legacy of India is steeped in equal opportunities for all.
- Minister Smt Smriti Zubin Irani also talk about the need to upgrade textiles machine technology especially in the jute sector and proposed to organize a Grand Machinery Challenge for the Textile Sector to throw up new technologies.
- The Textile Grand Challenge 2019 was organized by the Ministry of Textiles to support the National Jute Board and the Startup India Team of the Department for Promotion of Industry & Industrial Trade (DPIIT).
- It is an initiative towards ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and ‘Make in India’ under which innovative solutions were sought for:
- Alternative to single-use Plastic bags
- Alternative to Multi-use Plastic bags, using domestically grown natural fibres viz; Jute and Cotton.
- Out of 67 entries, 3 participants were selected and awarded by the Ministry with cash prizes.