Due to the Ulcerative Colitis, the 65-year Japanese PM Shinzo Abe resigned a year before his term ended. He has been battling from Ulcerative Colitis for many years which worsened recently.
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
- Ulcerative Colitis also is known as UC, colitis ulcerosa is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- It affects large intestine which causes irritation, long-lasting inflammation, and ulcers (sores) in the colon(large intestine).
- The lining on the colon develops small ulcers which produce pus and mucus which leads to abdominal pain, discomfort and urge to frequently empty the colon.
What are the Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Rectal bleeding,
- Bloody diarrhoea,
- Pain in the abdomen, joints, or rectum
- The urgency to defecate.
- Inability to defecate despite the urgency.
- Weight loss.
What causes Ulcerative Colitis?
- The exact main cause of ulcerative colitis yet unknown.
- Initially, suspected causes were diet and stress but now doctors know that these factors may aggravate but don’t cause ulcerative colitis.
- An immune system malfunction is one of the possible causes.
Treatment Of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Treatment Of Ulcerative Colitis includes medication and surgery.
- In Medication: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, Antibiotics, Anti-inflammatory, Immunosuppressive drug, Steroid, Analgesic and Dietary supplement.
- In Surgery: Colostomy, Ileostomy, Colectomy and Proctocolectomy.